Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Cookie Cutter

On one Friday morning, one of my co-worker dropped by my office and said "Hey, I am quitting in 2 weeks and I going to become a fire fighter. It's my long time dream". I didn't get it immediately. Here's a guy who is Senior Manager for one of the sales division in one of the largest company in the world, earning what most of the americans can only dream of, and he wants to drop all that in 2 weeks to pursue his passion. Mind you, fire fighters are paid well in this country, but their life is very risky and they will be out of home for at least 18 FULL days in a month.

For a person like me, who was born and brought up in a country where MOST of the people start their career by getting some job, work vigorously to move vertically and almost retire in the same company or similar job, I seriously didn't get it immediately. Some of us do chase our dreams partially, but I have seen only very few people who have pursued 2 different careers in life (not by default) and still be successful and more importantly happy.

Forget one or multiple careers, I always think about what my friend Suresh once told me "Do whatever you want, but make sure that you do things that make you happy". I guess the tough part is finding what makes you happy, right?

0 comments:

 

© 2010Dhoda! | by Shankar